Re: Roles OSOPER and OSDBA

From: Roger Harris <rharris_at_mhv.net>
Date: 1997/03/08

Ken Geng wrote:

> Does anybody have an idea which Oracle system table/view to query to see
> the detailed information about these special roles, OSOPER and OSDBA?
>
> I'v tried DBA_ROLES, ROLE_ROLE_PRIVS, ROLE_SYS_PRIVS and ROLE_TAB_PRIVS
> with no luck.
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE.
>
> Ken.

OSOPER and OSDBA are special operating system roles. That is why they are not included in the dictionary views you mentioned. If a user belongs to OSOPER they can perform STARTUP, SHUTDOWN, ALTER DATABASE OPEN/MOUNT, ALTER DATABASE BACKUP, ARCHIVE LOG, and RECOVER. They can also connect when the database is in restricted mode. A user belonging to OSDBA has all Oracle system privileges with the ADMIN option, plus everything that an OSOPER user has, plus they can create a database and do time-based recovery.

You can also grant users the SYSOPER and SYSDBA Oracle roles using an Oracle Password File and the ORAPWD utility. See Chapter 1 of the Server Admin Guide for more info.

Roger Harris
Oracle DBA
GE Capital Corp. Received on Sat Mar 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST