Re: How to Compress the "SYSTEM" tablespace

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/07

In article <5fot62$jsr_at_reader.seed.net.tw>, kitty_at_tpts1.seed.net.tw writes

>The Error message is
>
> ORA-01652 :
> unable to extend temp segment by 5120 in tablespace SYSTEM
>
>I altered the tablespace by adding a 10M datafile, but the error
>message still shows up
>
>Should I compress system talbesapce? If the answer is YES, then how
>
>If there are other situation that may casue this problem
>

>Thank you in advance for your help.

The only way you can compress the system tablespace is to do a full export, drop and recreate the database and do a full import.

However, you shouldn't be creating temporary segments in system. Create a dedicated tablespace for temporary segments if one doesn't already exist and issue an 'alter user .... temporary tablespace ....' command for all your users, including system but probably not sys.

--
Jim Smith