Re: Killed database sessions

From: Nevin Hahn <nhahn_at_ENTENTE.UHCOLORADO.EDU>
Date: 1997/03/07

>>Alex,
>>
>>If anyone knows to the contrary it would be very interesting, as I am
>>suffering from the same issue.
>>Apparently, a kill session is very low on the priority stack in relation
>>to PMON who cleans out the sessions (I think its PMON). But on a very
>>busy system it could take HOURS to clean out, as it is processing other
>>requests with higher priority.
>>I think this is a serious issue and should be addressed by Oracle. How
>>can you expect to meet customer needs as well as system needs when you
>>can't implement Profiles without running into these issues?
>>Very frustrating.
>>Hope this is helpful and someone else can correct/support/help on this
>>comment.
>>Ernst Renner

If anyone is interested I had dug into this subject a bit deeper. First I need to explain that I am running Oracle 7.2 on a Netware 4.1 box and using TCP/IP connections from the clients. I found that connections that are marked as KILLED in the V$SESSION status are maintained because the TCP/IP connection is still mainitained on the server even though the client is really not connected. This occurs when the client user shuts off their machine when still connected to Oracle. By going into the TCP Console and clearing the TCP connection a KILLED session is then finally removed.

Nevin Received on Fri Mar 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CST