Urgent: problem with CGI to Oracle access using OCI

From: <vtl_at_akula.com>
Date: 1997/03/06

This is my problem:

I have written a CGI executable in C to access Oracle Workgroup Server tables. Oracle access is through OCI calls. The executable works fine from the command line, but if I attempt to run it as a CGI executable through a Netscape browser, the program aborts at initial login (OCI call olog()). The return value of olog() is error 1019, which translates to "Insufficient space for user's process heap".

My environment looks like:

	Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3
	SGI Irix 6.2 platform, 64 Megs ram
	Netscape Enterprise Server

I recently ported this setup from an NT 3.51 platform where everything works fine: CGI accesses Oracle no problem. However, my Unix skills are not strong, and I'm at a loss on how to solve this problem. Worse, Oracle technical support officially states that it does not support accessing Oracle from user-written CGI programs, so won't look further into my situation.

More details: I'm pretty sure that the problem is not about user permissions, even though error 1019 also occurs when a user doesn't have Oracle environment variables set in his .cshrc profile. The Netscape server runs the CGI executable as a user named 'www' which _does_ have these permissions: 'www' can successfully run the executable from the command line. I've double-checked the system processes to make sure that the Netscape server is using the 'www' profile.

If I interpret the error message literally, then I should attempt to increase the process heap size, but I don't know how to do this. I'm guessing that maybe the problem comes from the fact that Netscape may be running the CGI executable in its own process space, and that there is not enough space to do this.

If anyone has any insight into this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Victor Liu
Micro Interactive, Inc. Received on Thu Mar 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST