How Do I Create a Temporay Table?

From: Gene Hubert <ghubert_at_acpub.duke.edu>
Date: 1997/03/06

I'm running Oracle 7.3 on NT 3.51. I'd like to create a temporary table. Is there some way to tell Oracle that the table I'm creating is temporary? I could do this in SQL Server 4.2 by prefixing the table name with a pound sign (#). If I try to create a table in a temporary segment, I get an error saying I'm not allowed to create a permanent object in a temporary segment.

I want a temporary table to temporarily hold data from permanent tables. It seemed like a temporary table would be faster and cut down on disk fragmentation compared to a permanent table. Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks for any assistance,

Gene Hubert
Duke University Received on Thu Mar 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST