Re: Switch from SCO ODT5 to NT4, good idea?

From: Ken Geng <ken.geng_at_cbis.com>
Date: 1997/03/06

Cathy Fischer wrote:

> I have been asked to look into switching our Oracle database server from SCO
> to WindowsNT. The main reason we are looking in to it is that we don't have
> any SCO expertise on staff ( I learn whatever I can but I am the only one. )
> and we do have NT experience available when needed.
>
> When we chose SCO as the database server operating system it was because we
> wanted a Unix based platform for reliability but didn't need a big Unix
> system. How does Oracle on NT compare? Is it reliable for 7x24?
>
> I am not even sure how would I go about moving my database from Unix to NT.
> Will NT read Unix files?
>
> Please email if possible.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

If you can cope with you SCO, consider waiting a while until NT stablized?!

My experience with NT wasn't good. My NT locks or self-reboots frequently enough to make it useless for real-world run. I follow the NT user groups regularly, and find out that I am not the only one who has the problem. One other problem that is much discussed is NTFS fragmentation, which is believed to cause NT slowing down. And NT does not have a tool for defragmentation so one has to get from a third party. The "blue screen", a signature NT errors screen, is notorious for its screenful of low-level binaries few cna decipher, and for its frequent visit.

No, I would not bet my mission-critical jobs on NT 4.0.

BTW, I use trying to use Oracle 7.3.2 NT. Received on Thu Mar 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST