Re: PLEASE HELP: memory management 2nd TRY !!!

From: Vikram Goel <vgoel_at_emi.net>
Date: 1997/03/05

Ken Friday <ken_friday_at_pleasantco.com> wrote:

>Arkusa GbR wrote:
>>
>> Dear Oracle-Freaks,
>>
>> Is there nobody out there who is in the mood to answer to a beginner
>> question??????? Please help
>>
>> I have got a problem concerning the usage of the main memory during an
>> oracle session.
>> Is there a chance to influence the usage of the memory? I have several
>> tables in use, some to query and to update, two tables are only used
>> for protocol the actions. How can I succeed in giving most of memory
>> to the tables I want to select from or update to and how can I minimise
>> the memory for the two tables where I only append tuples with new
>> protocol information?
>> Is there a possibility to arrange and control the partitioning of the
>> main memory?
>> I guess, that this may be a question of general interest. If I get any
>> mails, I will post the results.
>>
>> Thanks for any help or advice where to find answers in books or in the
>> oracle documentation
>>
>> Manfred Tischendorf

>> /\
>> / a\ Manfred Tischendorf
>> / s \
>> / u \ Bruehlstr. 2
>> / k \ D 74379 Ingersheim
>> / r \ Deutschland / Germany
>> \a /
>> \ / Tel.: +49 7142 9800-27 / +49 171 6821030
>> \ / Fax: +49 7142 9800-29
>> \____/ E-Mail: tischendorf_at_arkusa.de
>> \ / WWW: http://www.arkusa.de/
>> \/
>Hi there,
>
>With Oracle you don't really manage memory at the table (or any object)
>level. The database uses an LRU algorithm to manage pools of memory
>(e.g. data, sql, redo). Objects (e.g. tables/indexes) are brought into
>the data buffer pool on a block basis as needed.
>
>Ken F.

Manfred,

Though there is no method available to throe memory at table data in Oracle, a good wrokaround exists. To do so you need to pin the data for the tables in the sga. this can be achived by using the dbms_sga package.

Hope this helps.

---
Vikram Goel         vgoel_at_emi.net  (H)
Sr. Oracle DBA      vgoel_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us (O).
 & Oracle Performance Analyst. Consultant