Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! unattened backup for Novell 4.1

From: Nevin Hahn <nhahn_at_ENTENTE.UHCOLORADO.EDU>
Date: 1997/03/05

Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Jason Kahl wrote:
>>
>> I have oracle 7.2 running on a Novell 4.1 platform...
>> I want to do an unattended COLD back up as far as I know my back up will
>> NOT run any script before DESTROYING the database!!!!!!
>> is there any type of schedule that can be run on Novell 4.1?
>> Thanx,
>> Jason Kahl
>We use ArcServe to do the backups, and a couple of calls to SQL scripts
>(as post and pre backup steps) to shutdown and restart the Oracle db.
>Works just fine.
>
>Steve Phelan.

Steve,

I am running the same Oracle 7.2, Netware 4.1, and using Arcserve 5.1 to perform backups. I have do not have much experience with Arcserve but my thought was to create a shutdown and startup .ncf type file that would take the database down and up. In between run Arcserve to backup the database. This requires someone to run the ncf files and Arcserve and thus is far from automated. I was interested in your SQL scripts.My thought here is that the operators doing the backup don't know much SQL, or the Oracle system well and I want to shutdown and startup without making them load SVRMGR or SQLDBA. Do you run your scripts after loading SVRMGR or SQLDBA or do you have another method? Also I had heard that Arcserve has some sort of Oracle Agent (add-on)that might be useful here, have you heard anything about this?

Thanks,
Nevin Hahn Received on Wed Mar 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST