Re: SYBASE DBA TO ORACLE DBA

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_comsense.com>
Date: 1997/03/04

Casey Claiborne wrote:

> Hello,
> I currently have been trained in performance tuning for
> SYBASE system 11; however, I am wondering
> if there are significant or small differences between the
> administration of an Oracle database vs. a SYBASE database - i.e.
> how hard is it to switch from SYBASE administration to Oracle
> administration? Are the structures for SYBASE similar to
> Oracle - i.e. using b-tree for indexes, the creation of several
> databases - (tempdb, master, etc. for SYBASE) when the
> product is installed, etc.
>
> I would be *truly* grateful for any information
> on the subject :)
>
> TIA
I went the other way around approx. 18 months ago. Not a very smooth experience to say the least. Knowing Oracle didn't help me at all. I had to enrol into a Sybase Admin class to come to grips with it all. Sybase and Oracle are 2 completely different rdbms'. They may even use the same terminology and mean completely different things. So, no you cannot apply your sybase knowledge to Oracle. It's best to start from scratch with Oracle.

HTH,
Leng. Received on Tue Mar 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST