Re: ANALYZE command question.

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/03/04

Dana Stockler wrote:

> I am periodically running a batch job that dynamically
> generates and executes a script which executes the
> ANALYZE command on all of the tables in the database
> (except user SYS% tables).
>
> The command executed is:
>
> analyze table <tablename> compute statistics ;
>
> Is this enough to allow the cost-based query optimizer
> to do it's job well enough? Or should I be using one of the
> 'for' clauses?

    For the optimizer to use cost-based, you need to set the OPTIMIZER_GOAL or OPTIMIZER_MODE to be cost-based such as ALL_ROWS.

    Analyze table will analyze the assoicated index. Thus, it is enough if the tables involved in the query have been analyzed.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.