Re: Can SGA be larger than SHMMAX?

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/03/04

------------39961A311136

Bass Chorng wrote:

> oracle (oracle_at_nightmare.com) wrote:
>
> : This is operating system dependent.  But I think that on HP you can
 grab
> : up two
> : segments. I seem to remember something about 3 segments failing for  one
> : SGA.
> : I also remember something about a 1gig SHMMAX is the largest it can  be.
> : So if you want a two gig SGA you can not go over 1gig for SHMMAX so  you
> : would have two segments.
>
> You can't get a 2 gig SGA. The largest on 7.1.X is 700 MB
> and on  7.3 it is 1.7 GB. This is the limitation on Oracle
> regardless of the platform.
>
> -Bass Chorng

I think you are incorrect. I have heard of people having SGA's of 2.5gigs and greater. Oracle has to support it with their VLM configurations. I know this is supported on SUN and DEC. I do not recall if this is true for HP though. Pick up any ICG that supports it and look in the appendix for VLM information.

------------39961A311136

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Bass Chorng wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; oracle (oracle_at_nightmare.com) wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; : This is operating system dependent.&nbsp; But I think that on HP
you can grab<BR>
&gt; : up two<BR>
&gt; : segments.&nbsp; I seem to remember something about 3 segments failing
for one<BR>
&gt; : SGA.<BR>
&gt; : I also remember something about a 1gig SHMMAX is the largest it
can be.<BR>
&gt; : So if you want a two gig SGA you can not go over 1gig for SHMMAX
so you<BR>
&gt; : would have two segments.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; You can't get a 2 gig SGA. The largest on 7.1.X is 700 MB<BR>
&gt; and on&nbsp; 7.3 it is 1.7 GB. This is the limitation on Oracle<BR>
&gt; regardless of the platform.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; -Bass Chorng<BR>

<BR></DT>

<DT>I think you are incorrect.&nbsp; I have heard of people having SGA's of 2.5gigs and greater.&nbsp; Oracle has to support it with their VLM configurations.&nbsp; I know this is supported on SUN and DEC.&nbsp; I do not recall if this is true for HP though.&nbsp; Pick up any ICG that supports it and look in the appendix for VLM information.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------39961A311136-- Received on Tue Mar 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST