Questions on kernel tuning on aix 3.2.5 / 4.2 running Oracle Financials-like applications

From: Jens Wartenberg <wartenberg_id_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/03/03

Hi,

I am trying to get a 3.2.5 installation make the best performance. The installation is running an application like Oracle Financials. It is a 25 user system. The disk-subsystem is allready tuned well.

In The AIX Survival Guide by Andreas Siegert, I have read about tuning, using the tools/parameters mentioned below. I will begin testing these hints, but was wondering if anyone had experience they would share with me regarding this type of tuning in an environment like this.

By the way, I can recommend The AIX Survival Guide. Thanks to Andreas Siegert!

Regards

Jens Wartenberg
Wartenberg Industri Data
Denmark

smit chgsys:
  minpout / maxpout:

        Consider reducing the values to minpout= 8, maxpout=17, or minpout=6,
maxpout=9.

        This will favour interactivity, as large writes will not get so much
time.

vmtune:
  maxperm / (minperm):

        Consider reducing the values to get increased memory for computational
purposes

        fast.
  minfre / maxfree:

        Consider increasing the values to get more memory for computational
purposes

        fast.

schedtune:
  timeslice:

        Consider increasing the timeslice, so the database can get time to
finish its

        jobs, instead of giving the time to some users that are waiting for the
database

        to finish. Received on Mon Mar 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST