Re: Oracle WebServer & Browsing Remote Databases

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/03/03

On 2 Mar 1997 16:36:10 -0700, "Stephen M. Earl" <searl_at_primenet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been working with the Oracle Webserver v2.1 for Windows NT and I'm
>having some trouble setting up an agent/listener that will allow me to
>browse a remote database. Here's my situation... NT 4.0, Workgroup Server,
>and WebServer 2.1 running at home. HP-UX and Oracle 7.1.6 running at work.
> I'd like to be able to browse the tables, etc. from the database(s) at
>work as well as local databases. I've set up a new DCD (Database
>Connection Descriptor) with no problems. I'm not sure what to set in the
>Web Listener to allow this DCD to be used. Can anyone point me in the
>right direction???
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Stephen Earl...

Once you set up a DCD you must do at least one more thing to let a web server 'see' it.

If you want to use the CGI-BIN version of the owa program (mandatory in v1.x, optional in 2.x-- you can use the WRB instead in these version) you must goto the web listener configuration screen and map a virtual directory to where the owa program is. for example, say you just created a DCD called 'foo', you would go to the web listener configuration and map:

Virtual Directory              type            Physical Directory
-------------------            -----           -------------------
/foo/                           CN              c:\orant\ows21\bin

then, bounce the listener. Now /foo/owa/some_procedure_name will work if the DCD is correct.... check in \orant\ows21\log for error files on the other hand...

If you want to use the WRB version (cartridge) of the owa program (na in v1.x, optional in 2.x) you must goto the WRB configuration screen and under the "Applications and Directories" section enter:

Virtual Path                App.       Physical Path
/foo/owa                    OWA        c:\orant\ows21\bin

(case matters). Again, bounce the web listener and

/foo/owa/some_procedure_name will work....

Just make sure when you set up the DCD you specify the ports you are wanting to use the DCD on... Else it will not run from that listener...

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Mar 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST