Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 1997/03/02

In article <33199586.7EF72D4D_at_sympatico.ca>, Stephane Lajeunesse <slajeunesse_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

->FWIW, I talked to somebody at Oracle about a Linux release of Oracle
->Workgroup server. Is reply to me was that they were afraid of the fact
->that Linux is a 'moving target'. What scares them is the fact that the
->Unix admin can recompile a new kernel when the newest version is
->released thus possibly breaking the Oracle server itself. This for them
->is not what they want. They want something more stable (kernel version,
->library version). On the other hand, isn't this what Caldera is doing?
->Giving anybody who whishes to develop for Linux commercially a 'stable'
->non-moving platform???

Exactly. They can release Oracle8 for "RedHat" or "Caldera"; they don't have to support all kernels or linux in general. They could even have their own special kernel, if they wanted to.

--
Craig Kelley
  "The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature