Re: Help! Moving 60GB O7.3 db from HP-UX to AIX

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/03/02

In article <01bc257c$6f6cb960$61cfaec7_at_larrym>, Larry Monack <lmonack_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
>We're planning on migrating our 60GB data warehouse from an HP box to an
>IBM/RISC. We're wondering if there are any reliable alternatives to the
>full database export/import method. Any advice would be greatly
>appreciated...

You might try using a database link and then create table TAB_NAME unrecoverable as
select * from DB_LINK

I have only used this for small tables so there may be some problems with larger tables.

>The IBM will have new disk drives (probably not RAID). Downtime shouldn't
>be an issue as we plan on keeping the HP running during the migration.
>Tablespaces are no greater the 2GB each and the db is designed as follows:
>
>- SYSTEM
>- TEMP
>- RBS
>- TOOLS
>- USER - User tables
>- HIST(s) Static history data
>- HISTIDX(s) Static history indexes
>- BASE(s) Refreshed data (daily/weekly)
>- BASEIDX(s) Refreshed indexes (daily/weekly)
>- AGGR(s) Summarized and derived data from HIST & BASE (daily/monthly)
>- AGGRIDX
>- CMSN - Application tables (500MB)
>- CMSNIDX - Application indexes (250MB)
>
>We're doing cold HP-UX full system backups (takes about 18hrs). We have
>export dumps of all HIST tables. We also have ASCII extracts (sqlldr) for
>most of the BASE tables. The CMSN & CMSNIDX is exported daily.

Give all the dumps that you already have it would seem most expediant to just use them.

>(We'd also be interested in hearing about any data warehouse backup/recovery
>strategies.)

By partitioning the historical/static data from the current/dynamic You will decrease the amount of data that needs to be backed up which will decrease the time (all good things). That is typically the biggest step needed (and the hardest to convince people of).

Other important things:
Practice recovery (The tense system down and needs to get up quickly is

                   NOT the time to learn the recovery commands) Use reliable high speed Tape (DLT, 3590, ...) (4 & 8 MM typically less so) Backup twice
Have 2 Drives
Check to make sure the drives can read and write from each other Have alt boot device

You may want to expand you back/recovery plan to include elimination of single points of failure (like alt boot device).

Hope this Helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sun Mar 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST