Re: Picking a database

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com.no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/03/01

You are exactly correct. I think you need to refine your question a little more, as there are many "sizes" of Oracle you can investigate.

About the smallest database product we have is Personal Oracle Lite, which has a small footprint, much like Access used to be before it's drive to become bloated. Oracle has server products that go all the way from this personal version of Oracle all the way up to the Universal Server for enterprise solutions, which can run on massively-parallel machines costing millions of dollars.

To compare these to Access is inappropriate, as Access is intended for smaller workgroup development, with some crippled access to server-based computers via ODBC (hence, the crippling). Your best bet would be to browse the respective Web sites, where you'll be able to get more information than you could ever imagine.

Check out:

	http://www.oracle.com
	http://www.microsoft.com

...the order is intended. :-)

On 1 Mar 1997 22:22:25 GMT, "Jeff Grimonster" <jgrimons_at_pt.lu> wrote:

>I'm not sure Access could cope with large tables.
>Oracle does. My site uses large tables, some with more than 40 million rows
>
>Jeff.
>
>joline R. Warner <jrwarner_at_iastate.edu> wrote in article
><5f4eki$cif$3_at_news.iastate.edu>...
>> I am a student at Iowa State University doing a project on why Oracle is
>> a better database than Access. Any information that people could give us
>> would be greatly apprecitated. Or if anyone has any ideas about where we
>> could find this information. Thank you.
>> Joline Warner

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat Mar 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST