Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Michael J Schout <mike_at_moor-380.dorms.tamu.edu>
Date: 1997/03/01

In article <331836CD.76DA_at_rell.com>, Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com> wrote:
>> If Oracle doesn't support Linux because it is a "poor mans" operating
>> system, then why do they make a WindowsNT version??
>
>Because MicroSoft is a better known quatity to them (Oracle), they know
>Microsoft is NOT going away tomorrow and that if a major bug is found
>they WILL fix it is some resonable timeframe.

Your statement here PROVES that you know nothing about the LINUX community. If major bugs are found in Linux, fixes are out usually within HOURS. Compare that to NT which can take WEEKS for a bug fix to be released (take the RPC services bug in NT 4.0 for example.. ). From my experience the support and upkeep of Linux has been far superior to commercial companies.

Your statement also makes it sound like youthink Linux is a fringe OS and that it could just dissappear tomorrow. Im sorry my friend, but you are sorely mistaken if that is the case. MS might wish that it were true, but the fact of the matter is that Linux is everywhere in the commercial marketplace now...

Like it or not, its true...

Regards,
Mike

--
Hal 9000 - "Put down those Windows disks Dave....  Dave?  DAVE!!"