Re: BUG ALERT!!!! on SID names

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/03/01

------------2F37521454083

Strategic Data Systems wrote:

> In article <5f51d1$pc6$2_at_news.inc.net>, sds_at_dataplusnet.com says...
> >
> >Running Oracle 7.1.6 on AIX 4.1.4 and tried to create another
 instance.
> >Couldn't create because after a connect internal(ORACLE_SID=smtest)  in sqldba, I was
> >connected to an existing instance(nwtest).
> >
> >Went around with Oracle Support for 4 days and they finally said:
> >
> >'Oracle hashes the SID name to a number and uses the number to make
 the connection.
> >Apparently 'smtest' and 'nwtest' hash to the same number!!!!.
> >
> >The fix is to change the sid name to something other than smtest.
> >

> Oracle got back again and said this is fixed in 7.2 and up.

It really is not a bug. They just did not use a very good hashing algorithm pre 7.2. It uses the ORACLE_HOME and sid to hash to the memory location. 7.2 and newer can still has to the same address but it is not as likely.

------------2F37521454083

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Strategic Data Systems wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; In article &lt;5f51d1$pc6$2_at_news.inc.net&gt;, sds_at_dataplusnet.com
says...<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;Running Oracle 7.1.6 on AIX 4.1.4 and tried to create another
instance.<BR>
&gt; &gt;Couldn't create because after a connect internal(ORACLE_SID=smtest)
in sqldba, I was<BR>
&gt; &gt;connected to an existing instance(nwtest).<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;Went around with Oracle Support for 4 days and they finally said:<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;'Oracle hashes the SID name to a number and uses the number to
make the connection.<BR>
&gt; &gt;Apparently 'smtest' and 'nwtest' hash to the same number!!!!.<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt; &gt;The fix is to change the sid name to something other than smtest.<BR>
&gt; &gt;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Oracle got back again and said this is fixed in 7.2 and up.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>It really is not a bug.&nbsp; They just did not use a very good hashing algorithm pre 7.2.&nbsp; It uses the ORACLE_HOME&nbsp;and sid to hash to the memory location.&nbsp;&nbsp; 7.2 and newer can still has to the same address but it is not as likely.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>