Re: Personal Oracle Capabilities?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1997/03/01

David,

Personal Oracle functionality is very compatible (near 100%) to the other
OS versions. The 'near' part comes ONLY from limiting the number of connections. It is a very compelling reason to use P.O. to do evals, proto
types and development.

As far as your VMS based Oracle 7.0, unless there is a compelling reason,
I'd start looking at upgrading - Oracle 7.3 is far better, feature rich, etc.

Personal Oracle Lite's claim to fame is a small footprint - it is NOT the
same as Personal Oracle, it is NOT intended to be the same. POLite is basically equivalent in power as the MS-Access engine (although Access has a lot more glitz & glamour stuff - what you buy as Access ain't just

the engine). A lot more info available from www.oracle.com

/Hans

David Ehrens wrote:

  I'm curious about the suitability of Personal Oracle for doing   off-site
  development of a VAX-based Oracle 7.0 program which uses SQL and   also calls to
  C programs. How useful is Personal Oracle, anyway? What's the   difference
  between PO and the PO Lite version? Oracle claims that Personal   Oracle has
  100% the functionality of the product on larger platforms. Is this   true?

  David Ehrens - PencilNet, Inc. - http://www.pencilnet.com   Networking & Systems Integration - david_at_pencilnet.com Received on Sat Mar 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST