Re: Personal Oracle Capabilities?

From: Eric Hansen <erichansen_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/03/01

david_at_pencilnet.com (David Ehrens) wrote:

>I'm curious about the suitability of Personal Oracle for doing off-site
>development of a VAX-based Oracle 7.0 program which uses SQL and also calls to
>C programs. How useful is Personal Oracle, anyway? What's the difference
>between PO and the PO Lite version? Oracle claims that Personal Oracle has
>100% the functionality of the product on larger platforms. Is this true?

It is as far as I've seen. The only thing it definitely won't do is handle multiple connections. You can't have multiple users signed on to it at once. Aside from that, it's totally capable.

Where I work, we have found PO7 to be INVALUABLE as a test bed for applications that will be eventually server-based. This is because the DBA's don't let us do much with our sign-ons.

With PO7 you can be your own DBA.

I have been able to connect to it with SQL*Windows, Developer/2000, and even Java (via ODBC).

Our company got a deal on it. $100 (I think). WELL worth it. I can't imagine what we would do without it. Having to beg the DBA's? UGH! The only thing I would caution you on is that if you buy PO7, you'll probably get 7.3. You said your VAX was on 7.0. That could lead to problems if you develop something that isn't compatible.

No, I don't work for Oracle. Received on Sat Mar 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST