Re: REDO log shifts are blocking for DB updates !!!

From: Shane Murray <smurray_at_bah.com>
Date: 1997/03/01

At a log switch (possibly at every chkpt, I can't remember) the SGA is flushed which takes time and resources. In order to minimize the impact of log switches, create larger log files. You could even create a log file to hold more than the daily average worth of redo transactions. The one immediate downside to larger log files is that crash recovery time increases.