Re: Oracle WebServer 1.0 Question

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/02/28

Timothy Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com> writes:

>Thomas,

>This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but here I go anyways.
>Get Oracle WebServer 2.1. It contains a 'hook' written using Netscapes
>NSAPI that allows the Oracle Web Reqeust Broker to accept connections
>from a Netscape http server. Web Request Broker is a multi threaded
>request dispatcher that communicates with persistent backend processes,
>instead of using CGI. Bottom line: your server spends less time forking
>new shells to run CGI scripts and then cleaning up after those shells
>when they die and more time processing http reqeusts. So, in WebServer
>2.0 the Oracle Web Agent is NOT a CGI program.

This may be good news for some people but bad for people running Apache. You do know that Apache and Stronghold are the most popular and widely used webservers ?

I am currently running OWArepl downloaded from govt.us.oracle.com successfully under Stronghold.

P.S. Stronghold is apache with ssl capability. Source to both is available, if Oracle or anybody else wants to study them. Also is there a scheduled release of Oracle Webserver for Solaris X86 ?

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Fri Feb 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST