Re: Personal Oracle Capabilities?

From: Timothy Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/02/28

David Ehrens wrote:

> I'm curious about the suitability of Personal Oracle for doing off-site
> development of a VAX-based Oracle 7.0 program which uses SQL and also calls to
> C programs. How useful is Personal Oracle, anyway? What's the difference
> between PO and the PO Lite version? Oracle claims that Personal Oracle has
> 100% the functionality of the product on larger platforms. Is this true?
>
> -----
> David Ehrens - PencilNet, Inc. - http://www.pencilnet.com
> Networking & Systems Integration - david_at_pencilnet.com
David,

Personal Oracle 7 is upwards compatible with Oracle 7 Workgroup and Enterprise Server. It is a full featured version of Oracle 7 including PL/SQL, distributed option, and replication capabilities. PO7 is built from the same kernel code base as the other versions of Oracle 7. PO7 is available on Windows, Windows 95, Windows NT, and Power Macintosh.

Personal Oracle Lite is built from a different code base. It DOES NOT have a PL/SQL engine. It does, however, support replication to Oracle 7 servers through the use of an OCX control. It is currently only available for Windows 3.1/95/NT. I think a Mac version is in the works (no guarantees!).

PO7 is ideal for developers who want to code while disconnected from the network. It will work with all standard development tools (Developer/2000, PowerBuilder, Visual Basic, etc) exactly as a server based version of Oracle 7 would. Its export files can be imported into an Oracle 7 network server.

PO Lite is ideal for deployment to mobile users who need a small footprint, maintenance free database. PO Lite is bundled with PowerObjects.

I think you are after PO7.

Good Luck,

Tim Taylor
Oracle Govt. Received on Fri Feb 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST