Re: FK relations...

From: Archana Agarwal <aagarwa2_at_osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: 1997/02/28

Hi:

        If I have understood ur problem correclty, then it appears to be a design problem ..

In the problem described by you, there should be 4th table with PK Part_no and its attributes. Third table will remain the same as described, but Part_no PK will change to FK.

I hope this helps

Pankaj
pgarg_at_ahcpr.gov

Internet Coop (coop_at_greystoneapts.com) wrote:
: Sure let me do a little better job of explaining..

: Three tables:
: Person
: car
: Car Parts

: Primary Keys
: Person:
: SSN

: CAR:(Information about a persons car)
: SSN
: VIN number

: Car Parts:
: SSN
: Vin number
: part number

: Now imagine there a 10,000 records in car parts for one car record.
: Imagin also that a person can have 3 cars. Now if a persons SSN
: changeses and cascade update is on you have to update 30,000 records.
: Does oracle have a method internally to deal with this? Like store
: pointers rather than field values..etc..