Re: DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT

From: Kelly Young <young_at_maricopa.edu>
Date: 1997/02/28

Dave Costa wrote:

> Is the value of the initialization parameter
> DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT to be specified in OS blocks,
> or in Oracle DB blocks? I assume the latter, but I'd like to
> find some confirmation, and it isn't clarified in the
> Administrator's Guide.

I'm also somewhat confused by the "block" terminology used in the Oracle manuals. We are running DEC Unix. It is my understanding that the physical disk block is 512 bytes and the Unix (OSF/1) operating system does I/O in blocks of 8192 bytes. Therefore, when Oracle refers to "Operating System Blocks" I assume they are referring to 8192 (not 512), correct? I've never been able to confirm this. Received on Fri Feb 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST