Newbie Question: Oracle Instance Configurations

From: Dale Porter <dporter_at_irgate.tnrcc.state.tx.us>
Date: 1997/02/27

My shop is a fairly new Oracle/Unix environment. I-Case/Oracle devleopment projects are appearing daily. There are currently three approaches for development being used: Program specific development, integrated office development and functional lines development. Most of the different development approaches share some of the same clients and will need access to each other's data. Currently, we have tentatively decided to implement a development and production instance for each of the four offices (although it will not actually be an integrated database) for a total of 8 instances. Our server has 2 GIG RAM, 4 processors/100mhz, 14 GIG internal disk and a EMC disk farm of 300 GIG. The hardware configuration is RAID-S.

Please give your opinion and/or pros and cons of our instance configuration as well as discuss having the possibility of implementing only 2 instances (one development and one production). If you suggest multiple instances as we have chosen, please suggest reading material or list considerations we need to research when deciding how to divide the production instances on the box discussed above. Also, any input on the choice of RAID-S is appreciated.

Dale Porter
email: dporter_at_irgate.tnrcc.state.tx.us

Opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer. Received on Thu Feb 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST