Problem with 7.3.2 export on Digital UNIX/Alpha?

From: Steve Pedder <pedder_at_IntNet.net>
Date: 1997/02/25

I recently upgraded from 7.2.3 to 7.3.2.3 on a Digital Alpha 8400 and a 2100. The 8400 is running Digital UNIX 3.2g and the 2100 is running 3.2d. Shortly after the upgrade on the 2100, O/S errors started to occur when running export to the TZ87 DLT tape device. I have a script that exports 5 instances to a non-rewinding tape device. The errors are of a SCSI CAM nature and occur between the time one export finishes and the next one starts. The exports run to completion, and I have been able to import objects from all five instances on the tape. Before the upgrade, 7.2.3 exports to the DLT worked fine.

I have the luxury of an idle 8400 as a temporary test system. The 8400 also has a DLT, but behaves differently. Whenever I export to tape (either interactively or with a script), the following occurs: SCSI CAM errors are logged as the export finishes. If I try to access the tape device after that, the SCSI bus is reset and then is utlimately taken offline. The only way I can then access the tape device is to restart the system. I still have the 7.2.3 software and a small test db on this machine. I can export that 7.2.3 instance without any errors. It only happens with 7.3.2.3 exports to tape--exports to disk work fine.

The 2100 and 8400 are obviously not identical and furthermore, the 8400 has a RAID setup with a pair of HSZ-40 controllers. My gut feeling is that this is a hardware problem and/or a SCSI device configuration issue. What I can't understand is how 7.3's export utility would be dramatically different than 7.2. Has anyone encountered problems like these?

--

| Steven D. Pedder |
| mail: Pedder_at_IntNet.net |