OWS, Java, JDBC/ODBC

From: Becky Grasser <rgrasser_at_acm.org>
Date: 1997/02/25

Hi gurus:
Can someone help me get started on the right path? We are running Web Server on a Solaris platform, our database instance is also on Solaris, our network is Solaris, and our clients are Solaris, PC, and Mac.

I would like to develop a java-based application that would allow us to "take advantage of" the fact that our clients are everything. The user would enter some information in the java form, and based on what type of information is entered, another java form (or maybe html, i really haven't decided) form would be generated, along with the proper tables on the database.

My question involves the connectivity between Java and the database. Can I, for example, put the proper ODBC drivers and ODBC-JDBC bridges on the client end, and (with a good deal of configeration, I suspect) allow java to talk to Oracle thru the Web server?

Has anyone done this sort of thing? Do you mind giving some pointers, warnings, and tips to get going?

Thanks very much for your help. Any additional information you need gladly provided.

Becky G. Received on Tue Feb 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST