Re: moving datafiles

From: <muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com>
Date: 1997/02/25

In article <330E3158.4A30_at_umn.edu>,
  tim.willson-1_at_umn.edu wrote:

> muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is a way to update the Oracle fixed tables
> > to change the name of a datafile? I can't find the real underlying
 table
> > where these names are kept, and even if I knew where it was, I
> > wouldn't know how to update it directly.
> >
> > To clarify, let's say I want to move /oradata1/name01.dbf
 /oradata01/name01.dbf

> > I know I need to recreate the control files, but how can I update the
> > system DDL?
> >
> Shutdown the database in question...
>
> copy the dbf file to its new location
>
> startup nomount
> connect internal
> alterdatabase rename file '/oradata1/name01.dbf' to
> '/oradata01/name01.dbf'
> alterdatabase open
>
> This will change the name in the your control files of the dbf file in
> question. Your control files are the underlying files read by Oracle at
> startup time to determine components of the database....
>
> Select * from v$dbfile to see your database files in version 6
> Select * from v$datafile to see your database files in version 7

Thanks very much for your response, and to the others also. This does solve my immediate problem. However, I was hoping to get some information regarding where these datafile names are kept in the system DDL. I originally thought that they were only kept in the control files, but recently read something which led me to believe that it was possible to have your system DDL refer to a filename which wasn't in a control file. This would make me think that Oracle is storing these names internally as well as externally. Can anyone enlighten me?