Inserting BLOBs into Oracle via VB 3.0 and ODBC

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1997/02/24

All,

Some of our developers are trying to insert BLOBs into an Oracle LONG RAW field and are having problems. They are using Visual Basic 3.0 and ODBC. On recommendation from Oracle Corporation, they are "chunking" the binary file into the Oracle LONG RAW field by splitting it up into "chunks" of 1K-4K and inserting it in pieces. Everything works fine with files ~<=32K, but when they cross the 32K barrier, the files end up corrupted upon extract back out of the database. Oracle Corporation had said that there were problems with files >64K, but we seem to have hit the problems with files 1/2 that size.

Has anyone successfully insert or retrieved large BLOB data to/from Oracle using VB 3.0 and ODBC? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Please respond both to this newsgroup and via private e-mail.

Regards,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs				mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.			voice: (513) 677-7661