Re: moving datafiles

From: Richard G. Ramirez <ou79138_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/02/24

Jim Yoshii <yoshii_at_planet.net> wrote in article <330F25C9.126B_at_planet.net>...
> muller.brenda_at_primestar.tci.com wrote:
> > To clarify, let's say I want to move /oradata1/name01.dbf
/oradata01/name01.dbf

> Use ALTER DATABASE RENAME 'filename' TO 'filename';
>
> This does not actually rename the file, it just tells Oracle what the
> new name is. The database must be mounted, but not open to do this.

It is better than that. All you need is to have the space offline. The database can be open. Thus, you can take the tablespace offline, copy the file to the desired location, use the ALTER ... RENAME .... and the bring the tablespace back online.

Richard Received on Mon Feb 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST