Re: Backup

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/02/24

The sgadef file is only around while an ORACLE instance is running - except in the case of power loss etc. As a result it should not be included in the backup of the database. Is this a full file level backup you are performing ? If so then you should either be i) shutting the database down or ii) using the ORACLE provided hot backup mechanisms ie ALTER TABLESPACE ... BEGIN BACKUP, followed by the backup mechanism, followed by ALTER TABLESPACE ... END BACKUP. If you back up an active instance by any other means there is a possibility that you will not be able to restore from the backup.
Off hand I cannot think of any view within the database that holds the value of oracle home, if I come across something I'll mail you.

Rob

Subject: Backup
From: turner_at_more.net (David Turner)
Date: 24 Feb 1997 20:09:20 GMT

        I have been preparing the final backup scripts for our organization
and was curious about the sgadef.dbf file. I have looked for information on
this file but have been unable to find documentation on it. I can guess what
it is for but would like to be able to query the file's location from the database.

        Does anyone know of a V$ or other view which I can get the full path
name of this file from. Also I would like to query oracle home from the database, is this info available. Since I am backing up databases through SQLNET I would prefer not to grab the information from anything but the database.

					Thanks,
						David Turner