Re: Advice on picking a database (Oracle, Sybase, Informix, SQL Server

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1997/02/21

In article <330d5d3d.15964994_at_10.0.2.1>, masimo_at_dnai.com writes:
> Anthony Mandic <no_spam_at_comdyn.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Matt Larson wrote:
> >>
> >> I need some advice on the benefits and drawbacks of Oracle, Sybase,
> >> Informix, and MS Sql Server. I would also like to know if anyone knows
> >> of a guide that details which to choose in certain situations, etc.
> >
> > Here's my guide -
> >
> > [ Tony's facetiousness snipped ... :-) ]
> >
> >-am
>
> Sounds like excellent reasoning to me!

The rule of thumb that I use is that Oracle works well for larger installation... it has the ability to perform I/O as large as 64k which is excellent for DSS type of applications. Sybase has a smaller footprint so it tends to perform well in areas requiring a real-time need and, typically, in an OLTP environment. Without parallel queries (which is *finally* coming along) Sybase is definitely behind the curve. Also, having a max of 16k I/O for *large* I/O is limiting. Sybase allows the DBA to micromanage the buffer cache and this is something that is extremely beneficial. I see other vendors playing catch-up on this feature...

In short, to answer you question, it really depends... Sybase, IMHO, is also easier to DBA... I don't have any data points on Informix... yet. Talk to me middle of next month... [ and my Oracle data ain't that good... :-) ]

--
Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (415) 933.3812        Fax # (415) 933.2821
pablo_at_sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635  -or-  pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com