Re: question on oracle datatype....

From: Peter J Thompson <pthompson_at_taratec.com>
Date: 1997/02/21

We are using the long raw datatype successfully to store blob data (actually RTF documents). We are able to do this via Roguewave dbtools++ and either OCI or ODBC access libraries. You can probably do it without the RW layer if you want to use OCI or ODBC directly in a program. Have had ZERO luck manipulating long raw columns via any ORACLE interactive tools such as SQLPLUS. It appears this datatype is just to odd to handle which is weird since sybase/watcom allow interactive access of some sort to their equivalent datatype (the name of which escapes me). So I guess if you want to write code to access your long raws you can probably do it otherwise you may run into problems. BTW, RW seems to have a problem with blob sizes. Sizes less than 32K bytes seem to work, all bets are off with anything bigger.

Hope this helps

Pete