Re: Corrupt indexes on Oracle databases

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1997/02/21

G McLauchlan wrote:

> We have been having a problem with corrupt indexes on various Oracle
> databases at our site. We are running RDMS version no. 7.1.32. All
> databases are run under VAX/VMS systems. The problems are cured by droping
> the indexes and recreating them.
>
> In the trace file we are seeing the message :-
>
> Corrupt block=3d000fcf
> .
> .
> .
> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments [17090], [], [], [] etc.
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar problems or has anyone any suggestions
> ?

Does the corruption always occur on the same physical drive or group of drives on the same controller? In my experience, Oracle block corruption has usually preceeded the failure of the physical drive (or controller) holding the data. Depending on your disk drives and operating system, a glitch may affect Oracle but not be detected by the drive's firmware or the operating system.

Vince

--
* Hey Spammers!  If you send me unsolicated email, we'll
* send you a bill for up to $500/message.  Federal laws