Re: Remotely executed package error

From: gerrit scholten <no email>
Date: 1997/02/20

davist_at_umis.upenn.edu (Tad Davis) writes: > We created a view that depends on the value of a package global variable.
> The package variable is set during package initialization. The idea was to
> do a complex lookup once per session and leave the resulting value in
> memory for the view's WHERE clause; this works much more efficiently than
> putting the lookup directly into the view. The approach works OK during
> host access. But when trying to access it remotely through a dblink,
> Oracle issues this message:
>
> ORA-06574: Function GET_CURRENT_PERIOD references package state, cannot
> execute remotely
>
> This message does not appear in my copy of the Server Messages and Codes
> Manual (December 1992). Can anyone explain this message in more detail,
> and is there any legitimate way around the problem?
>
> --
> Tad Davis 215-898-7864 voice
> (davist_at_isc.upenn.edu) 215-898-0386 fax

The oerr utility gives this information:

oerr ora 6574
06574, 00000, "Function %s references package state, cannot execute remotely"

// *Cause:  A remote function or a remote-mapped local function contains
//          a reference to package state (reads or writes a package variable).
//          Such functions cannot be executed remotely.
// *Action: Do not call the function or put a pragma asserting it does not
//          read or write package state.

Gerrit Scholten Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST