Re: loading EBCDIC with sqlload

From: Eric Hansen <erichansen_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/02/20

Jim Finch <jbfinch_at_akron.infi.net> wrote:

>--------------3C8616DE63B0
>
>I am trying to load some EBCDIC data using sqlload. I finally got it to
>work except for loading packed data. I am getting oracle errors on
>converting the packed fields.
>
>I am also having problems with a WHEN clause. I am comparing columns 4:8
>with 'BATCH' and never get it to equal eventhough I know there are
>records that match. Do I have to convert 'BATCH' to EBCDIC?

Yes. If you moved the file from your ebcdic machine to your WITHOUT CONVERSION, then you can't simply type 'BATCH' because ascii and ebcdic aren't the same. However...

>By the way the EBCDIC is on a IBM mainframe and the packed is COMP-3
>Here is the sqlload
>
>> OPTIONS (direct=true)
>> UNRECOVERABLE
>> LOAD DATA CHARACTERSET WE8EBCDIC500
>> INFILE '/home/ee18/data/buck.ebcdic' "FIX 64"
>> BADFILE '/home/ee18/data/buck.bad'
>> DISCARDFILE '/home/ee18/data/buck.dis'
>> INSERT
>>
>> INTO TABLE BUCK001
>> WHEN (4:8) = 'BATCH'
>> (company position (1:3) char,
>> batch_id position (4:8) char,

...you might be able to say:

          WHEN batch_id = 'BATCH'.

I'm not sure where the conversion to ascii takes place.

I don't know why your packed fields don't work. Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST