Re: FAT or NTFS

From: Geoff Ingram <lsgvi02_at_chsrh1.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/20

> Nigel Underwood wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Looking for some general opinions about Windows NT Oracle and in particular
> > the disk format.
> >
> > I've read from two different Oracle sources, two different opinions on the
> > disk format. One article says that NTFS is bettter for Oracle database
> > files whilst the other Oracle article says FAT is better. Which is the best
> > one to use ?

This information is somewhat meaningless without some numbers, but, FWIW: from http://www.oracle.com:81/support/products/wgs/nt/html/tips2.html

NTFS is a better file system than FAT for systems with a lot of small files on them that are used frequently. An Oracle7 database, however, consists of a small number of very large files. The performance of an Oracle7 database on a FAT hard drive has been measured to be somewhat better than the performance of the same database on an NTFS drive.

regards Geoff Ingram

All my own personal opinions Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST