Re: alert_sid.log file message...

From: Komix Hui <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1997/02/20

Valued Gateway Customer wrote:

> This is from my alert_sid.log file...it appears to happen frequently.
>
> Is the message "Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 17978
> Checkpoint not complete" of any concern? What does it really mean?

The transaction processing comsumes online redo file spaces faster than filled
redo file is written to archive log files. Thus, your Oracle system hangs to
wait checkpoin to complete. The simplest method to solve this problem is:

  add one or more on line redo file to the database with command:

  ALTER DATABASE ADD LOGFILE .... Another method is to increase the size of existing online redo files. This procedure
will be complicated:

  . If the database has 3 or above on line redo files, you can drop an online redo

    file (which is filled and its content is archived) and recreate it with a larger

    size.

  . If the database has only 2 on line redo files, you must create another temporary

    on line redo file before dropping an online redo file since Oracle database needs

    at least two online redo files.

  . To see which online redo file is filled and archived, you can query 'v$log' and 'v$logfile'.

  . You may need to archive filled online redo file manually before dropping it.

--
Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao)         E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk
Assistant MIS Manager                Tel   : (00852)2589 3369