Re: Need help to reinstall Oracle 7.3.2

From: Brian Murphy <bdmurphy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/02/19

Yenyue Pai wrote:

> Hi,
> we currently encounter a situation on a Solaris system that we need to
> rebuild the OS kernal and reinstall all apllications. The Oracle database
> files reside on different file systems and different hard disks that this
> OS rebuilding activity will not impact the database content. However we
> will lose all the Oracle utilities and need to reinstall them. Can we
> choose to "Install New Product" from the installer menu and instead of
> creating a new database somehow reuse the current databse? Where can I
> find the information for this? The installation guide does not specificly
> explain this situation. Thank you for all your time.
>
> -Yenyue

It looks like your db files (datafile/controlfiles/on-line redo) will stay intact after you reinstall the OS. All you need to do is select COMPLETE SOFTWARE/DATABASE FRESH INSTALL and make sure you point to a SID different from the database you want to keep. After you install the binaries, restore the init.ora from the original db, point to the correct env files (ORACLE_SID may be the only thing you need to change) and you should have no problems. Do not upgrade the DB objects unless it is a different release.

Brian Murphy Received on Wed Feb 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST