Quickest way to manually create a new database ?

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/02/18

OK, I want to manually create a second instance of a database using the Oracle 7.2.3 server. According to the Oracle Server Installation and Configuration Guide Appendix C, I should make copies of certain files, edit them (in fact, I used copies of the first instance's config files and changed those). So far so good, that bit's easy (yes, I've set ORACLE_SID env. var. to the new SID I've chosen).

It then says I do this (where TEST is the new SID I'm creating) from inside svrmgrl (or "svrmrl" as the manual's typo says :-) ):

SVRMGR> @?/dbs/crdbTEST.sql         [manual had typo - it said "cdrbTEST.sql"]
SVRMGR> @?/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql
SVRMGR> @?/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql

[Note here: At no time does the manual say if the Oracle server should be
 running or not ! To be safe, I shut down my other instance first].

Let's take them one at a time:

SVRMGR> @?/dbs/crdbTEST.sql

Yep, this is OK - creates the (empty) database and starts up the expected processes, but the sql script *disconnects* from the started database !

SVRMGR> @?/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql

Nope, doesn't work - you surely have to re-connect to the new database first ? Reading catalog.sql, it implied that you had to connect to internal, so I did this (duh, bet you can't guess what <password> is :-) ):

SVRMGR> connect system/<password> internal

That connected and then I ran catalog.sql, only to get a whole load of errors like this:

create or replace view v_$controlfile as select * from v$controlfile

                                                       *
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
drop public synonym v$controlfile
                    *

ORA-01432: public synonym to be dropped does not exist
[etc etc etc for pages and pages]

At this point, I suspect that a missing step or two has been left out of the Appendix C in the manual (not for the first time - Oracle manuals really are atrocious !). Anyone care to fill in the missing steps ? Posting to this newsgroup is easier than hanging onto the phone for 30 minutes to Basingstoke...

If you're replying to this post, please e-mail rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk at the same time - I may miss any newsgroup-only postings.

Richard K. Lloyd,         E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
Computer Science Dept.,      WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, England,
Great Britain. Received on Tue Feb 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST