Re: can dba not be oracle user on unix system?

From: Christian Guenther <christian.guenther_at_mch.sbs.de>
Date: 1997/02/17

Claudio Roca wrote:

> Siegfried Pietralla wrote:
> >
> > hello all,
> >
> > i was wondering if anyone runs their site in such a way that the user oracle
> > is only used to manage the oracle software and that all database instances are
> > owned by their own dba users. i know that if you start up an instance while
> > logged in as another (not oracle) user then the background processes will be
> > owned by that user. and i see no further problems if the database were to be
> > completely created as another user. so . . . does anyone actually do this? and
> > if so ( or even if you don't ) what are the implications of such an
> > environment wrt the ofa?
> >
> > there are certainly benefits to be had by such an arrangement such as division
> > of responsibility between development and production as well as safeguarding
> > production db files from accidental deletion [ no i didn't!! well not yet
> > anyway :) ] and others along such lines ???
> >
> > thank you for any response.
> >
> > siegfried.

We are working with Oracle V7.x and it's working in the configuration, you have described.
We have different oracle users for different oracle versions and some user ids with the group dba for the databases. We are creating our databases under this user ids and we are also administering our db's from this users.
All is working fine.
We go to this conf. because we had a problem with accounting. We have a unix box, that is working as 'open session', that means that disk space and cpu time are the components for accounting and because of that we had run our db's in different user ids.

Bye Chris Received on Mon Feb 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST