Re: Backup an Open Database

From: Bruno Abate <abate_at_netgate.comintur.com.uy>
Date: 1997/02/16

Stéphane TALBOT <stalbot_at_club-internet.fr> wrote in article <01bc1aa4$9683a5a0$5dcf75c2_at_steph>...
> Hello ! I have an Oracle 7.0 database on a HP server.
> I have something like 25 persons using the database and I want to backup
 my
> database every night.
>
> Do you know a software capable of doing that ?
>
> Thanks a lot !
> Stephane.

You can do it!
Your DB must be open, in archivelog mode, and you will be using online backups:
for tab in (each tablespace in your open DB) do

	alter tablespace tab begin backup; --puts it in backup mode
	for file in (each datafile in your open DB) do
		host cp file /some_directory
	end;

end;
alter database backup controlfile to /some_directory

to make recovery work, don´t forget to include ALL the archived redo log files from the moment you issued the first command up to when it ended, and then one more (which was half-written by the time the procedure ended).

I´ve got a script at work (taken from an oracle paper) which makes a script like this taking the info of your tablespaces and datafiles from the data dictionary, so you run:
sqlplus -s system @create_hot_backup_script sqlplus -s system @newly_created_hot_backup_script

if you plan to get the create_hot_backup_script.sql, I can post it when I bring it from work, however, there IS software which does it all for you, most of it built on top of obackup which comes with version 7.3 but you should be able to buy it separately for your version. Just read the advertisements in Oracle magazine, if you are not subscribed you can in www.oramag.com

Ask for the script if you will try it on your own!

Bruno. Received on Sun Feb 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CST