Workgroup Server vs Oracle7 Server

From: Dianna Whitt <dwhitt_at_csihq.com>
Date: 1997/02/14

Has anyone compared these two products for speed, reliability, features, etc. I have experience with Oracle7 version 7.0.12 but nothing more recent and never with the Workgroup Server.
I know that if you compare the price Workgroup Server is a great deal cheaper. What gives? Is Oracle just trying to be competitive with Microsoft SQL Server? I actually have copies of both to load on my Alpha running Windows NT 3.5.1, and I am trying to determine whether it would be worth the price difference to go with the Oracle7 Server. I was told by Oracle that Workgroup Server would do the job: 5 user network which will be processing small (200 byte) data messages sent to and received from 75-100 vehicles on the road daily. The vehicles only send messages on startup/powerdown and if some anomaly happens. Vehicle/driver/scheduling information will also be stored. I would appreciate an informed answer. Thanks. Received on Fri Feb 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST