Re: Help: transfer & store of big files

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/14

Fabrizio Vassallo wrote:

> A client on Windows NT on Pentium,
> has to put animations (*.avi)
> of ~40Mbytes from echocardiographies
> on a server with Oracle 7.2.3 on HP-UX on HP 9000.
> My newbie questions:
> what are the best and more efficient ways to store, to retrieve,
> to backup?
> What the pros & cons of storing the movies
> in Long Raw columns (is it possible?)
> or in separated files?

  If you use long raw columns, it is quite difficult to manipulate it. For instance, it is quite difficult to add data into a long raw column by using Forms 4.5. Moreover, if you use long raw to store the data. You should keep track your Oracle database performance or storage to prevent from maximum extents are reached.

  However, if you store the movie into a long raw column, it is a part of Oracle database and some database operations can be used to manipulate this long raw column.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.