Re: data modeling

From: chris <cys4_at_columbia.edu>
Date: 1997/02/14

hfs1+@pitt.edu wrote:

> I am designing a database using workgroup server, developer, designer,
> and discoverer. What are the specs I would need on my file server (ie.,
> RAM, hard drive, etc.) in order to optimally run a database with
> 27,000,000 data points?

In order to run Dev2000 or Des2000, you should consider having 64MB of RAM to run optimally. However, 32MB does work but slower. Hard Drive should be about 2gig depending on the size of your design. I used to run on 16MB of RAM and 1gig, but it is really slow.

> Though we are all awe struck by Oracle, can anyone tell me why Oracle is
> better than Access or Rbase?

There is a reason why Oracle has the biggest market share. In a Relational Database world, Access, though powerful, is not really in a level to compete with Oracle, Sybase, Informix, SAP or other major Relational Databases. In Relational Database, enforcing DATA INTEGRITY is one of the most important issue. Oracle is, by far, one of the best in implementing this. The relationship between Primay Keys and Foreign Keys must be enforced with tight control. Oracle7 is amazing in its capability to enforce this. Of course, people may argue that Powerbuilder is better than Dev2000 and so on, but Dev2000 works extremely well with Oracle backend.

Well, good luck.

Chris Suh
Oracle RDBMS designer and developer. Received on Fri Feb 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST