Re: REDO log shifts are blocking for DB updates !!!

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_hwai.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

Kjell -

While I normally avoid them like the plague, have you considered discrete transactions for this? That, combined with a large redo log file and checkpoint value, would seem to be indicated here.

hth -

Regards,
jh

"Kjell R. Christensen" <krc_at_nera.no> wrote:

>Hi !
>
>We are currently implementing a 'time critical' system where all
>accesses towards the DB must be guaranteed a response time less or equal
>to 150 milliseconds.
>The transactions consists of both select and select for update
>statements.
>
>THE PROBLEM !!!
>Since transaction also contains updates, the REDO log file fills up and
>are switches on regular basis. During the switch the update statements
>are stalled/delayed for the same amount of time as it takes to switch
>REDO log file. Why ?????
>
>On average an update takes 25 milliseconds, but during the REDO log
>shift it is delayed for 3 SECONDS!!!!
>

>This has to be a 'classical' problem in 'this' database 'community' ??
>
>Are there any ways of configuring the instance (init.ora) such that LGWR
>will continue writing wile DBWR and CKPT completes there tasks during
>the REDO log shift?
>

>HW/SW CNFIGURATION:
>Running Oracle Server 7.3.2.2
>AlphaServer 4100 (2 CPUs), 1 GB RAM, 6 x 2.1 GB disks
>OpenVMS 7.1
>

>WHAT ALREADY HAS BEEN TESTED OUT!!!
>-Different sizes of REDO log files.
>-Multithreaded REDO log files.
>-The ALERT log does not contain any incomplete CHECKPOINT messages,
>indicating that CHECKPOINTS are accumulated up, until the REDO log
>shift.
>-Most init.ora parameters has been tested out. such as:
> -db_block_buffers
> -shared_pool_size,
> -log_checkpoint_interval,
> -log_checkpoint_timeout,
> -log_checkpoint_to_alert=YES,
> -db_block_checkpoint_batch,
> -db_file_simultaneous_writes,
> -log_buffers.
>
>-REDO log size has been tested out for the range 25K -> 10 MB, and we
>are currently 'stuck' on 3 MB.
>
>An attached WORD file will show the delay graphically. Both axis are in
>milliseconds.
>
>Any hints will be appreciated,
>

>Kjell R.

Jared Hecker, CODBA       | Oracle  and Sybase Architect and DBA
jared_at_planet.net          | - consulting in the
76276.740_at_compuserve.com  |   NYC/NJ region - available now!