Re: Can I create a link to a table in a remote database?

From: janet <janet_at_telesph.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

Jared Hecker wrote:
> See 'create database link' in your SQL reference guide.
>
> Simon Goland <sg_at_mda.ca> wrote:
> >Can I create a link (or whatever it is called in the Oracle lingo) in my
> >database here that will point to that remote table TABLE_A in the remote
> >database? And if so, are there any special privileges the program on my
> >end will need to have for that?

Nice to see my two faaaavorite oracle guys chatting! Simon, I created a link to a remote database as such: i know you're on unix, so type
uname -n
on the remote database to give you the db name. Ex: remote_database

go to local database and
create public database link LINK_NAME
connect to USER identified by PWD
using 'remote_database';

for access just
select * from TABLE_at_LINK_NAME;

hope this is what you're looking for!

janet

p.s. jared, when is the next DBA SIG? Received on Tue Feb 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST