Re: Starting 2nd Instance of Oracle

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_hwai.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

Chris -

It sounds like you didn't re-set ORACLE_SID to the value of the second instance's name. (I am assuming ORACLE_HOME stays the same; if you are running two separate versions of Oracle as vs. two separate instances this should not be the case!).

Usually I use a shell script to fire up Server Manager when I have mutiple instances. In the shell script I make any necessary envrionmental variable changes.

hth -

Regards,
jh

Chris Moore <wpfgops_at_cadvision.com> wrote:

>I would like to know the steps required to bring up two
>instances of Oracle on my AIX box.
>
>I can bring up the first instance just fine, but when I try
>to startup a second instance from within server manager I
>receive the ORA-1081 error 'cannot start already-running
>ORACLE - shut it down first'.
>
>AIX 4.1.4
>Oracle Server 7.3.2
>
>Any help would be appreciated....Chris

Jared Hecker, CODBA       | Oracle  and Sybase Architect and DBA
jared_at_planet.net          | - consulting in the
76276.740_at_compuserve.com  |   NYC/NJ region - available now!