Re: varchar2 columns and space question

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

optional indicates a colunm can be null.

We use the following table layout rules:

	Primary key data
	Required foreign keys
	required data columns
	optional foreign keys
	optional data columns in order
		of most likely to contain data
		to least likely

This will give the best performance for key seeks and help reduce record fragmentation.

: JJ Reynolds wrote:

: >
: > I remember reading somewhere in my Oracle documentation that you should
: > always put the fields that are least likely to have data last in your
: > table definition because Oracle can make better use of space by trimming
: > the row. Is there any truth to this?
--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you